Sunday, September 21, 2008

Lehne Farms & CSA


Has been so beneficial for our family! Here are just a few reasons.

1. It's convenient. We pick up our box (every Saturday) at our local Farmers Market. Just 5 minutes from our house.

2. We love to try new recipes. With every box comes a newsletter with recipes. Or, I go online & find a recipe.... We've tried several recipes (new to our family) & they have been a hit with the entire family.

3. We believe in the importance of not only buying locally, but supporting our farmers.

4. It is so important to buy in season produce. Eating food how God intended them & when God intended them is so beneficial to our bodies.

I picked up our box yesterday & noticed that there was cheddar cauliflower. I've never eaten cooked cauliflower, so I thought that I would give the newsletter recipe a try. Roasted Curry Cauliflower. OH. YUM! Erik was working outside & came in to get a drink & asked what smelled so good. I told him & he looked at me like, "I hope that it tastes as good as it smells". It was finished roasting, so I took it out of the over &, after waiting for it to cool, we each tried a bite. SO GOOD!

1 Head Cauliflower. Florets cut.
1 large onion, peeled, quartered
1 tsp coriander seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
3/4 cup olive oil
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
3 1/2 tsps curry powder
1 tbspn Hungarian hot paprika
1 3/4 tsp salt (I always use sea salt)
1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro (I'm a nerd & put the cilantro in before I roasted everything).

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Place cauliflower florets in large roasting pan. Pull apart onion quarters into separate layers; add to cauliflower & any optional items like summer squash or peppers. Stir coriander seeds & cumin seeds in small skillet over medium heat until slightly darkened, about 5 min. Crush coarsely in mortar with pestle. Place seeds in medium bowl. Whisk in oil, vinegar, curry powder, paprika & salt. Pour dressing over veggies; toss to coat. Spread veggies in single layer. Sprinkle with pepper
Roast veggies until tender. sturring occasionally, about 35 min. (can be made 2 hrs ahead. Let stand at room temp. Re-warm in 450 degree oven 10min, if desired) Mound veggies in large bowl. Sprinkle with fresh cilantro. Serve warm or at room temp.

Here is a link to the Lehne website....

http://www.normlehnefarm.com/csa/



2 comments:

Dena said...

ohhh yum that looks so tasty! I am going to have to sign up for a box next year. I am kicking myself for having not done it this summer.

mamaparlette said...

Yummmmmm. I'm so inspired to actually cook a meal instead of buy it.