Thursday, August 28, 2008

Quandary

I am having a dilemma & need some advice from fellow mommies...or daddies.... I try to let the kids choose their own clothes. After all...they're just clothes. M has chosen her "first day of first grade", (am I the only one that keeps hearing 'Billy Joe McGuffery I listen to entirely too much XM Kids), outfit. Chocolate brown, white & pink striped polo shirt with a gray, black & white animal print skirt, white tights & brown cowgirl boots with flowers sewn on. I am having a really hard time with this outfit. It's crazy that I am stressing about it. Part of my brain is saying, "it's her special outfit that she has chosen for her first day of first grade". The other part is saying, "uh, you're not leaving the house in that crazy outfit". I have tried showing her what the outfit looks like with the nice blouse that I bought to go with the skirt. She is not having it. Any suggestions?

6 comments:

Cinnamon*Sticks Boutique said...

Sheila I had the same issue with Kaiya! There are still days when she comes out of her room and I'm thinking seriously girl it doesn't match!
The best advice I have been given it to make her a button to wear that says I dress myself or something along those lines appropriate to her age.
Trust me other moms know when kids are choosing their own cloths, we just smile because we know.
Good luck!!!
Canela

Seams Sew Neat Creations said...

Sheila~ As I'm sure you can't already guess from most of my photo's of her, Taiah dresses herself 99.9% of the time. And believe me... we get some looks at Freddy's sometimes ;) .... My Son frequently goes without clothing at all! (but hey, his diapers are really cute ;-D)
My Suggestion-
Let her wear whatever she wants. My guess is that anyone who really want to know, will ask the same question I have heard over and over: "Hi there! Did you pick that outfit all by yourself?!" Followed, of course, by a condecending smirk in your direction.....
Here pretty soon she will start trying to match her outfit to yours, or McKenna's, or Britney's... so enjoy the independance while she has it!
And Embrace and Encourage it :-D

LadyJ said...

One word of advice.
Take lotsa pics. Not that you ever don't.

When she is all grown up she will love to see the crazy fun outfit she picked out to wear to 1'st grade. hehehe

Beth

Jamie said...

That totally sounds like my sister when she was little. She picked out some winners! My mom let her wear the outfits and she was so proud of herself. I think all the other adults knew that she dressed herself and the kids couldn't care one way or another. I say "go for it" and take lots of pictures to use as blackmale later on :-)

Kellie Trenkle said...

oh how funny. i love how kids express themselves! maybe if you want veto power at all, but don't want to completely crush the free spirit in her... you could tell her mwf she gets to CHOOSE from these 2 outfits and t/th she can wear whatever she wants. ??? but it's true what the other mama's are saying... it's too stinking cute to NOT let it happen at all.

so funny that you posted on this bc i've been snapping a few pics of kennady when she dons one of her outfits that make her feel like absolute royalty, so i can show the world what fashion is really all about. watch for it. and you'll know the true meaning of ?layered look."

Sheila Nielsen Photography said...

Well, Mo wore her outfit today! I'll post it in a few days...I don't want to push down the contest.... She looked like a rockstar & so cute! Sheesh! I shouldn't have doubted her! She's got style!