Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Oh so YUMMY chicken in peanut sauce

So, we're a gluten free family. The first year was the hardest. Now it's just routine. E is the only one with the allergy. The rest of us TRY to stay on the diet because it's easiest for one & I am finding that wheat just makes me feel blah if I start having it. I am starting to think that it's really not the best thing for anyone. (we also avoid food dyes, but that's another post). So, I went shopping by myself last week, (it's glorious to shop alone). I tend to run to the store "for a few things" & end up being gone for a couple of hours. Yes, it is possible to spend a few hours at Fred Meyers. I tend to get stuck in the baby section, (K is growing so quickly that he is catching up with his brother & is constantly needing new clothes). So, back to the point, (yes, there was a point). I am walking through the store and I see King's Hawaiian rolls. IN A FOUR PACK. Yes, that's a big deal. The only thing that has kept me from buying them before was that I couldn't justify buying regular pack for myself. I came home & unloaded the groceries. Told E to stay in the other room, (they were one of his favorites too). I opened the pack, (I swear that angels were singing & the heavens were shining all of their glory on this little bag). Bit into the first roll & the next thing I knew...the whole pack was gone! OMG! Let me just say that I have pretty good self-control when it comes to food. I don't know what happened! It's like I just blanked out for a minute & ate the whole darn bag. It totally was NOT worth it. I hate that ugh, full, ate too much for Thanksgiving dinner feeling. That's how I felt. Death to the sweet rolls!
When I am busy with sessions, kids activities, etc. Our eating habits tend to stray to fast food (YUCKA). The kids LOVE McD's & E & I hate it. E & I both get a plain grilled chicken patty, (why on earth do they act like we're nuts for ordering that?) & that tides us over until we can get a decent dinner. So, after a few weeks of eating out 2 nights a week...I have decided that I really need to get back to making an effort to have weekly dinner menus. Not only does this make sense for time management & finances, but it makes it easy to switch things up & try new things. I enjoy cooking if I am trying new things & they are relativly quick. So, tonight, I tried a wicked yummy chicken & vegetables braised in peanut sauce. Here is the menu if anybody is interested. It was amazing! I cut the recipe in half & we have enough for lunch tomorrow. Believe it or not...I refrained from taking a photo of the delish dish. Let's just say that the fresh spinach leaves add just the right touch of color & it is just as pleasing to the eye as it is to the palette.

Ingredients:
peanut butter3 cups water4 1/2 to 5 1/2 lb chicken pieces such as drumsticks, thighs, and breast halves2 tablespoons vegetable oil1 medium onion, chopped1 red bell pepper, chopped3 garlic cloves, finely chopped1 (14- to 16-oz) can diced tomatoes including juice1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons cayenne 2 teaspoons salt1 1/2 lb sweet potatoes (2 medium), peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces4 medium turnips (1 lb), peeled if desired, halved horizontally, and cut into 3/4-inch wedges1 lb spinach, coarse stems discarded
Accompaniment: white rice
PreparationPreheat oven to 325°F. If using peanuts, blend in a food processor until they form a butter, 2 to 3 minutes. Put fresh or jarred peanut butter in a bowl and gradually whisk in 1 1/2 cups water.
Pat chicken dry and season with salt. Heat oil in an ovenproof 4- to 5-quart heavy pot (with a tight-fitting lid, for use later) over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then brown chicken, uncovered, in 3 or 4 batches, without crowding, about 6 minutes. Transfer chicken to a bowl as browned. Pour off all but about 2 tablespoons fat from pot, then add onion and bell pepper and sauté, stirring occasionally, until onion begins to brown, about 4 minutes. Add garlic and sauté, stirring, 1 minute.
Stir in peanut butter mixture, remaining 1 1/2 cups water, tomatoes with juice, cayenne (to taste), salt, and chicken with any juices accumulated in bowl and bring to a simmer. Cover pot with lid, then braise chicken in middle of oven until tender, 45 minutes to 1 hour. Transfer chicken with tongs to a large (4-quart) serving dish and keep warm, covered.
Stir potatoes and turnips into sauce and simmer on top of stove, uncovered, until vegetables are tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Transfer cooked vegetables with a slotted spoon to serving dish.
Simmer sauce, uncovered, stirring, until reduced to about 4 cups, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in spinach, then let stand, partially covered, until spinach is wilted, 2 to 3 minutes. Season with salt if necessary, then spoon over chicken.
Cooks' note:• Chicken can be braised in sauce (without vegetables) 1 day ahead. Cool, uncovered, then chill, covered. Reheat chicken in sauce, then transfer chicken to serving dish before proceeding.
The kids dyed eggs tonight. K slept through it. I don't think that he'll be too bummed that he missed the excitment. I'll post photos later. I still need to post photos of the desk that E made for me. 'Tis beautiful. I'm off to bed. Early session tomorrow.

2 comments:

Jamie said...

This looks yummy. I love good chicken recipies. Let's just face it, there are only so many things you can do w/ a bird...so anything new is a huge plus! I have a great chicken stand by meal that I can share w/ you. Super easy, whole roasted, yummy chicken. I found it on allrecipies.com and have made it almost every Sunday since. I'll shoot it to your email so I don't take up your blog space.

KI said...

Totally made this (with only a few tweaks for lack of ingredients-sake) and it was oh-so-yummy! Thanks for sharing!